When we moved here to Reading, PA 5 years ago, we chose to downsize our home. With our boys both headed for college, we figured we didn’t need as much room. It has worked well–until You’re Getting Warmer showed up. The spare part of our one-car garage is full of boxes of manufactured Sleepy Sleeves and the boys bedrooms each have a stack of boxes along one wall. With another 1,000 or so Sleepy Sleeves showing up in the next couple weeks, I knew it was time to check into a storage unit.
After a couple calls, I was looking for alternatives. Paying $80-$100 per month was not my idea of wise spending at this stage in my business…maybe not ever, actually. I went on Craigslist and found a used 10×16 shed for sale for about 20% of what a new one would cost. It needs some new T-111 siding on the back and eventually some new roofing, but it is in good shape otherwise.
Mike called city hall to get a permit, and the lady told him that since we already had a 10×14 shed, that we could only get a permit for another 10×14 shed, since we were limited to 280 square feet of shed space on our property. To go before the zoning board to request a variance would cost $1000, so that was not cost effective either. We have 1/2 acre in our lot, and it seemed weird to be limited like that but we are used to city rules not always making sense 🙂
Back to the drawing board. I still wanted that used shed, so I wondered if we could cut a couple feet off the end of it to make it compliant. After looking at it, I thought that it might be easier to cut it down the middle and then push the shortened halves together. (Only half joking..) Then my dad suggested that since we needed to replace the siding on the back of it anyway, we could just cut a foot or so off the back side, which would be easier than either of the options I had come up with. So we bought the shed, with Mike figuring it would give him an excuse to buy the tiger saw he has wanted for years!
He made an appointment with the zoning official and waited several weeks for it to arrive. He had to take a diagram of our lot, where the current structures are sitting and where we would like to put the shed, photos of the location and a $50 check. He called me on his way back home, to say that the zoning person said he had no idea why the zoning office phone lady said we were limited. That we could have a third shed if we wanted it–which I don’t, but that means we don’t have to remake the one we are buying! Great news!
So Mike has constructed a 12×18 pad with 4×4’s and we have 3 yds of gravel coming on Tuesday. Hopefully the rain lets up and that the truck doesn’t sink up to its axles in our yard. Then a few days later the shed will be delivered. We will fill it with our mower and tiller and assorted yard stuff so we can put the order of Sleepy Sleeves in our other shed, which is newer and cleaner and nicer.
Just another in the list of things I never thought I would need to do when I started a business! Oh, and Mike still hasn’t gotten his saw…